Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Design

***

Having decided to rely exclusively on the Tudor Tailor pattern I did a quick sketch based on the photo from their website.
(I've seen other versions based almost entirely on the unaltered pattern that also look fantastic, so I'm determined to stick as close to the instructions as possible).
Then I did some colour studies. I wanted a dark fitted gown, something in either a poor black, dark brown or just a darker version of the kirtle for a more monochromatic look.



In the end I think I've settled on a grey/blue kirtle and dark brown fitted gown with back trim.



For this outfit I will also need:
  • Linen shift (with either a square neck or high collar)
  • Petticoat, in either wool or linen
  • Partlet (especially if I opt for the square-necked shift)
  • Some sort of head covering (certainly a coif, and possibly a hat as well)
Accessories may include:
  • An over-partlet
  • Ruff
  • Corded petticoat
  • Stays (if I decided against boning or otherwise re-enforcing the kirtle)
  • Gloves
Now I just need to go fabric shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment